End of an era: Winks store in Kitty Hawk closing for good

By on November 24, 2018

The store and deli opened in 1953. (Winks/Facebook)

The Winks store in Kitty Hawk opened in 1953, its yellow smiley face sign an iconic Outer Banks symbol long before the emoji era.

The old building on the Beach Road at Eckner Street is filled with memorabilia chronicling Outer Banks history and culture. And today, it all goes on auction.

Starting at 10 a.m., the contents of the store will be auctioned to public, everything from beach toys and vintage signs to commercial displays and kitchen equipment.

The property at 4626 North Virginia Dare Trail will change ownership at the end of the year. Ahead of that change, the store and deli has been mostly closed for weeks.

It’s unclear what will come next for the property, owned by the Davis family for the last 65 years. Store management has been unwilling to comment on the sale and messages left for the Davis family weren’t returned.

Comments

• Bubby Beach

It’s going to become a Wings store. Ya just can’t have enough Wings stores.

Saturday, Nov 24 @ 8:48 am
  • Steve H

Holy cow, my family has been coming to the OBX since the 50’s and my wife shops everything from O’coke to Corolla. Sadly, I’ve been drug along with her most days. :p Neither of us could tell you where Winks was. My mom doesn’t even know where it is or what it was.

Saturday, Nov 24 @ 3:02 pm
  • Stephen McKenna

The end of an era! Our family started shopping there 48 years ago.Many fond memories. Fortunately there is a Winks in Duck where we no live.

Saturday, Nov 24 @ 3:59 pm
  • sortudo

Will Winks close in corolla too??!!

Saturday, Nov 24 @ 8:15 pm
  • surf123

If the family is retiring by choice then that is a great, however it more likely is that Wings, Walmart and Kmart killed them by selling their merchandise at less than Winks could get it at wholesale. Most of the Johnny-come-latelys who invaded the Outer Banks from the late 90’s on have no interest in Mom and Pop stores (and restaurants) like these which were the only place to until the chain discount stores arrived. There are so many great businesses that have succumb to the Anytown USA the country has become.

Monday, Nov 26 @ 9:48 am
  • Jennifer Everett

I grew up in the 70’s in Kitty Hawk.My brother was friends with the owners grandson. We actually lived almost across from it until I was three,then moved about a mile or so away.That was the only place to get groceries.We went there to get a box when our dog had puppies.I wore my nightgown in there and went barefoot everywhere. So sad to see it go.The best was when they got a few video games in there.It was before anyone had ataris.The beach is not the same as it was growing up.Thats why I moved.

Monday, Nov 26 @ 6:38 pm