Rep. Boswell files bill to reopen water testing lab in Nags Head

By on May 18, 2018

Reopening the lab would allow for more local swimming and shellfish sites to be tested on a regular basis. (WRAL)

Rep. Beverly Boswell, R-Dare, introduced a bill in the state House on Thursday that would reopen a lab in Dare County that tests samples from area waters for shellfish sanitation and recreational quality.

The northern N.C. Dept. of Environmental Quality water testing laboratory in Nags Head was closed after federal and state funding cuts earlier this decade.

“The legislation that I am sponsoring will help us protect our natural resources by again sampling and analyzing our coastal waters to ensure they are safe for wading, swimming and shellfishing,” Boswell said.

The Southern Shores Civic Association, Town of Southern Shores, and Dare County Board of Commissioners requested last year the General Assembly provide funds to sample and analyze bacteria levels at locations across northeastern North Carolina and the Outer Banks.

According to Boswell, the request came past last sessions bill filing deadline, but she made a commitment to the stakeholders that she would get the bill filed in the short session that began on Wednesday.

Her proposal would appropriate $176,946 in recurring funds and $95,898 in nonrecurring funds to NCDEQ to re-establish the laboratory in Nags Head and fund a lab technician position, with the money coming from a fund established last year for shellfish clutch planting activities.

The bill now awaits assignment to the appropriate House committees on Monday.

Comments

• Stephen

NOW Bev the Plastic Bag Queen tries to do something for her OBX constituents. What has taken her so long?
    As someone else wrote after her primary loss, “Bye, bye, Bev.”

Friday, May 18 @ 7:41 am
  • hmmmmmm

Trying to save face now that she’s been voted out? Also, Ed Danko is moving to Florida…..I guess he never really cared about any of us anyway.

Friday, May 18 @ 9:16 am
  • Ed Danko

hmmmmmm: That’s right, I’ve moved to Florida. Fabulous weather, sexy beaches, and when you go food shopping they give you all the plastic bags you want! Amazing, I’m gone but all you libtards and RINOs can’t stop talking about me, so let me thank you for allowing me to live rent free in your heads! Enjoy your 9.3 % property tax increase!

Friday, May 18 @ 11:02 am
  • Michael

Ed thats all they focus on here. Plastic bags and turtles. It’s sad this place has changed so much over the decades.

Friday, May 18 @ 1:15 pm
  • Frank Moore

To little, to late BOZ

Friday, May 18 @ 2:14 pm
  • Floyd

Michael

This place hasn’t changed. You haven’t been here long enough to know the difference.

Friday, May 18 @ 5:12 pm
  • Floyd

Ed Danko was kicked out of the Local GOP.

Friday, May 18 @ 5:14 pm
  • WombatNC

Better late than never; thank you Ms. Boswell.
    @Michael, there are plenty of lots/homes available in Florida – you could go down there and join Mr. Danko and start up a enviro-hate group and drink turtle soup together.

Friday, May 18 @ 5:50 pm
  • Ed Danko

@floyd: Please get your facts right, I resigned. Email me and I will send you my resignation letter which list all the reasons I wanted nothing more to do with them. Ed@eddanko.com

Friday, May 18 @ 6:58 pm
  • Stephen

I agree with Floyd. I have lived in Duck for more than 20 years; before that I vacationed Kitty Hawk and KDH for almost 30 years. the voters here are highly informed on a wide variety of local, state and national issues and express themselves accordingly in the ballot box.

I have question for Ed Danko: what makes you so mean?

Friday, May 18 @ 8:20 pm
  • Ed Danko

@Stephen: I love it. Every liberal who reads the Voice, and every liberal for that matter in the world, attacks anyone and everyone who disagrees with them. I’m not “mean” Stephen, I just speak the truth, and you and your liberal friends don’t like the truth, so you do what all liberals do when you can’t handle the truth, you put a label on people, while at the same time proclaim to tolerate others. Truth is liberals do not tolerate people they disagree with, instead they say nasty things and give them labels. Example: You calling Boswell the “Plastic bag Queen.” Question is, why are you so “mean” Stephen? Answer: Your a liberal.

Friday, May 18 @ 10:56 pm
  • Stephen

Sorry , Ed, but I am not a liberal. But thanks for answering my question, and thanks for all the compliments. Good luck in Florida.
    If not inconvenient I would also appreciate receiving a copy of your resignation letter which you offered to Floyd.
    Regards, Stephen

Saturday, May 19 @ 11:30 am
  • Frank Moore

Is anyone missing Danko ? I didn’t think so

Saturday, May 19 @ 11:52 am
  • Rick

Hey Bev, If you had done your job in the first place, you might have been reelected. To little to late. See ya!

Saturday, May 19 @ 3:12 pm
  • Ed Danko

Send me your email Stephen and I will email you the resignation letter I sent to the Dare GOP Excomm. (Floyd as not sent his email yet.)

Sunday, May 20 @ 12:53 am
  • West Sportsman

Oh Ed…maybe if you knew the difference between your and you’re you would’ve gotten more than 723 votes the other week.

Sunday, May 20 @ 6:34 am
  • scales of balance

lol @eddanko you might want to think about just cutting your losses and being quiet. If/when you go to run for another office, this stuff will resurface for your next group of potential constituents to see. The internet remembers forever.

Sunday, May 20 @ 4:12 pm
  • Jon

Mr. Danko, you can draft a resignation letter but without evidence of the time delivered in comparison with the proceedings of the local GOP, it’s not going to mean much either way.

Also, Dare Co. land transfer records indicate that your property sale was recorded on April 25. You indicated on the Outer Banks Sentinel website on May 11 that you had permanently moved to FL. Were you still a resident of Dare Co. or NC on the primary election date of May 8? Did you vote in the primary?

Sunday, May 20 @ 4:49 pm
  • Stephen

Ed ?Danko, I’ll do that, but not via this media. Do you still have your Avon p.o. box?

Sunday, May 20 @ 6:10 pm
  • Ed Danko

@Stephen: scroll up to find my email address in my response to Floyd. Or, here it is: Ed@EdDanko.com

Sunday, May 20 @ 10:03 pm
  • Ed Danko

@Jon: My resignation letter is dated and was emailed to the Dare GOP Executive Committee. I can forward that to you from my “sent” emails, date and all, if you email me. To answer your other question, my house sale closed on April 25th, however you do not have to own property to be a resident on NC. We also own a vacation home in Florida, and decided to move their full time on May 11th, and changed our permanent residency until May 16th.

Sunday, May 20 @ 10:10 pm
  • West Sportsman

You decided to move “their” full time?

Monday, May 21 @ 8:53 am
  • Frank Moore

For someone who has nothing else to do with OBX since being “kicked out” Danko sure spends a lot of time still here. I think he wishes he was still able to live here but to do that he would have to show his face around town. I wonder how he will improve Florida but i’m pretty sure he will keep us informed because he apparently has nothing to do except to comment on The Voice about a place he says he moved from on his own accord. I would think that if you move from someplace you would leave that place behind, but that’s just me.

Monday, May 21 @ 11:36 am
  • Big Daddy

Don’t care for Boswell but she done something good and you guys can’t wait to jump in with both feet. Give her some credit, she’s finally learning what we expect.

Tuesday, May 22 @ 12:25 pm
  • Paul

Ole Bev. She better get all she can done in the short session this year because it is her last one.

For the sake of the good people of the OBX just hope her nonsense of wanting to run on the Constitution Party (Sore Loser) doesnt cost her bills being lost in the Rules Committee. She wasnt respected in Raleigh before and this would just be embarrassing for her and this area.

Between Bev, Big Bill Cook and his little boy–that crowd has burnt a lot of bridges and their credibility in Raleigh has been diminished exponentially.

Wednesday, May 23 @ 12:44 pm