Rite Aid closing leaves Nags Head without a nearby pharmacy

By on April 16, 2018

The store is on the Nags Head-Kill Devil Hills line. (Voice)

The Rite Aid Pharmacy near the corner of South Croatan Highway and Eighth Street in Kill Devil Hills will close May 14, after the chain sold its stores to Walgreens earlier this year.

Pharmacy records will be transferred to the Walgreens at the corner of U.S. 158 and Martin Street, according to a sign posted on the door of the pharmacy, which is in front of Harris Teeter.

The Rite Aid stores in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills are among 1,932 locations, primarily in the southern and northeastern U.S., that were purchased by Walgreens, which plans to then shutter around 600 of them.

Most of the stores that will close are also near a Walgreens. The Kill Devil Hills store is less than a mile from one.

The closing means Nags Head will not have a pharmacy located in or right next to its borders. The Rite-Aid sits on the Kill Devil Hills side of the town line with Nags Head.

Bear Drugs at the Croatan Center was the last pharmacy in Nags Head until it closed several years ago.

The next closest pharmacies to Nags Head will be the Walgreens and CVS in Kill Devil Hills, which sit across the bypass from each other, and CVS in Manteo.

The Kill Devil Hills building is owned by a California-based property management company. Most major retail chains have either separate or affiliated firms that own the properties where they are located.

Future plans for the Rite Aid in Kitty Hawk next to the U.S. 158/N.C. 12 intersection have not been disclosed, and Walgreens media relations has not responded to a message left Monday morning.

Comments

• Surf123

The loss of one pharmacy is a non-issue. There are still plenty to go around. It is too bad that the community pharmacy (Bear Drug) was overrun by the chain pharmacies.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 10:03 am
  • chaser

Great, can they take the gaudy building with them?

Monday, Apr 16 @ 11:18 am
  • Missie

This is really sad, but it begs the question, “So what’s going to happen to the building”?

Monday, Apr 16 @ 11:22 am
  • Perry

First Nags Head had a CVS and a Bear Drug. Breakins closed Bear. The CVS Closed when Food Lion moved.

And now Nags Head, a growing medical center with the Hospital Center and a new Radiation Oncology Center and new ENT, doesn’t have a place to get the medicines we need.

Is the Town pursuing any plan to get us a Drug Store?

Monday, Apr 16 @ 11:37 am
  • Lisa

I really hope they keep the Kitty Hawk location as I love that store! The pharmacists and techs are top notch! I am sorry to hear about the closing of the Nags Head store.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 11:42 am
  • Rick

@Missie, one word, SAGA.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 12:06 pm
  • dave

Well this sucks! Probably going to be another WINGS.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 2:02 pm
  • Susan

No more pharmacy in Nags Head. No more banks in Nags Head. Really wondering what’s going on with my town.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 2:10 pm
  • Dan

Great! I hope they turn the building into another bank! We dont have enough of those!

Monday, Apr 16 @ 2:34 pm
  • Kher

Walgreens is the largest drug store chain in the US. They want to buy up the others so there’s less competition. I do like the Rite-Aid in KH, hope it stays around.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 3:34 pm
  • Rachel

It will be *such* a hardship for people to drive the extra mile to CVS or Walgreens. Good grief y’all.

Monday, Apr 16 @ 4:18 pm
  • Deborah

I’m not happy at all!!! That store has been my go to for my prescriptions and Patrick has helped me through a lot, especially when I had to put out money, I didn’t have, to get prescriptions for my son! He always took time to explain things to me! I’m not a fan of Walgreens and will not keep my prescriptions there!

Monday, Apr 16 @ 4:50 pm
  • carlisle

this suck another wings or bank, been to walgreens once that is why i switched,cvs is no better everyone should try island pharmacy forget the chain stores.wish you guys in the pharmacy the best you been great.

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 5:03 am
  • Jeff

What a ridiculous headline. I’m not sure what Sam Walker considers “nearby”, but for this Nags Header, the extra 0.9 miles to Walgreens and/or CVS is nearby.

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 9:33 am
  • tim

Or drive a couple miles to Manteo and there are a couple there. Gees, no loss at all unless it becomes a Wings.

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 1:00 pm
  • Carter McKay

No need to fret! Amazon will soon be able to deliver all your prescription medications right to your front door!

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 4:26 pm
  • WombatNC

Keep Kelly’s restaurant’s live oak trees and move the Lidl to the Rite- Aid location. Maybe some entrepreneur will come along and take a chance at re-opening the old watering hole as a sports bar/concert venue – that’ where I used to get my “prescription” filled.

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 8:58 pm
  • Karen Berry

Woopie

Tuesday, Apr 17 @ 9:48 pm
  • OBXCHIC

Maybe we will get another Auto Parts Store!

Wednesday, Apr 18 @ 3:21 pm
  • Ozzy3

Big Deal! You should be supporting your local pharmacies anyway, Bear Drugs in Kitty Hawk or Island Pharmacy in Manteo. So what if you have to drive a few more miles. Keeps the money in Dare County.

Wednesday, Apr 18 @ 3:40 pm
  • Bud

But, there are a number of nearby pharmacies. I don’t get it.
    It is northern Hatteras Island the has no nearby pharmacies.

Thursday, Apr 19 @ 7:03 am
  • Surfer143

Too bad because it’s the only decent pharmacy on the beach. The employees actually attempt to remember customers, fill prescriptions promptly and correctly. The other ones around here will give a ridiculous wait time no matter what.
    I hope the pharmacists and techs find work close by.

Monday, Apr 23 @ 2:10 pm
  • longboard

Geesh, Sam Walker! I remember when the only pharmacy on the beach was Millers on beach road. You could have a fresh orangeade or lemonade while waiting…

Tuesday, Apr 24 @ 8:40 am