Sandbars re-opens with new owners, popular menu

By on July 14, 2017

Mark Shafer and Jen Murphy.

New owners Jen Murphy and Mark Shafer have reopened Sandbars Raw Bar and Grill  with much the same atmosphere and menu that has made it a popular locals spot in Kill Devil Hills.

The two have long experience in the restaurant industry and are excited about having a small place to call their own.

Murphy hails from Virginia and has lived on the Outer Banks for the past 10 years. Shafer is a chef from Knoxville, Tenn. He moved to Kill Devil Hills six years ago.

The two met while on the management staff of Rooster’s Southern Kitchen in 2016. Their personalities clicked while at Rooster’s and making the transition from operating managers to owners seemed logical.

Sandbars is in teh Dare Centre. Happy Hour from 3 to 6 p.m. returns daily. Still offered are raw bar specials — crab legs, tacos and sliders.

Shafer has kept much of the popular menu, has added some items and offers his own flair for dinner and lunch specials. He strives for a fresh seafood heavy menu with local fish and a selection of Virginia shellfish.

They have added breakfast on the weekend from 8 to 11 a.m. Hours through the week are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Recent posts in this category

Comments

Rob Morris

July 15, 2017 10:23 pm

It’s been in the story all along —
with the hours of operation.

HatTrickTaster?

July 15, 2017 10:18 pm

We tried to support the previous owners but the service we received on two visits was abysmal, at best.

Fix that. Keep prices in line and serve good stuff and we’ll be back. Hopefully more than twice.

tim

July 15, 2017 4:51 pm

You should have mentioned where it is located, KDH is 5 miles long. I am local and have never heard of it, obviously I have never been there so I was looking for the address. Jordie’s comment mention Cold Stone and I do know where that was before the owner passed and it closed. BTW, it’s in the shopping center with Belk.

Nikki Jensen

July 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Aimee Grimm. Suzie and Scott moved away last year. If you have Facebook Suzie is in there.

Jordie

July 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Nope .. Sandbars has only been a thing for four years now … it was Cold Stone before that

Aimee hornick grimm

July 14, 2017 9:14 am

I think I rem her going to this place many years ago! I had friends that live there that I’ve lost touch with. Sue stroll ramm and scott ramm. Scott was a chef. Any chance anyone knows them? Would love to reconnect!!

Comments are closed.