Group suggests no change to Dare gun policy

By on October 11, 2012

Shots were recently fired at the county Social Services building. (Dare County)

A committee appointed by Dare County commissioners earlier this month has decided to recommend no changes to a policy that bans the carrying of weapons in county buildings.

“As a part of the review, the committee found that there were certain technical changes required by state statute,” said Dare County public information officer Dorothy Killingsworth.

“For example, the county facilities need to be specifically named in the ordinance, and the committee recommends that the county attorney bring an ordinance reflecting those changes to the (commissioners) at a future meeting,” Killingsworth said.

“The committee also recommends that all safety devices and procedures for county facilities be reviewed and changes made as necessary to improve the safety to our employees and to the public who use the county facilities,” said Killingsworth.

The group was formed at the Oct. 1 commissioners meeting, in response to six shots being fired three weeks ago at the Social Services building in Manteo.

No one was inside when the shooting took place around 1 a.m.

Manteo Police Chief Vance Haskett said it appeared that the shots were not random.

Citing the incident, Commissioner Jack Shea proposed the ban on weapons in county buildings be eased to allow officials to carry permitted concealed firearms.

The issue is scheduled as an item for discussion at the next commissioners meeting on Monday at 5 p.m., according to Killingsworth.

Bookmark and Share


Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *