Park Service sets beach driving permit prices

By on February 1, 2012

A plan designates areas for beach driving. (NPS)

Beach driving at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore will cost $50 for a seven-day permit and a $120 for a year.

The fees were announced Wednesday as the National Park Service prepares to put rules for access into effect Feb. 15.

Originally mandated by a presidential directive in the 1970s, management of access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore went through a years-long process before the final rule for off-road vehicle use was published on Jan. 23.

The rule restricts driving to designated areas to protect shorebirds and vegetation. Off-road drivers will also be required to watch a seven-minute instructional video.

Permits will be available beginning on Feb. 15 at three NPS ORV permit offices — Coquina Beach just south of Nags Head, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Visitor Center in Buxton Ocracoke Visitor Center.

The offices will be open year-round, seven days a week, except on Christmas Day, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with expanded hours on weekends and holidays during the summer.

An annual permit is valid for the calendar year and the seven-day permit is valid from the date issued.

“In order to provide the public with ample time to obtain a permit, there
will be a transition period between February 15 and March 15 before the
rule is fully implemented and enforced,” the park service said in a statement.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found at www.nps.gov/caha.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

LogicalPosition

July 24, 2013 12:15 am

As we were making our vacation plans this year, the wife and I just realized there are now FEES to drive on the beaches along the OBX. We are not happy about these fees. She is handicapped, and I fish from the back of our station wagon. This may force us to take our 2 weeks and $3-4000 elsewhere.
We tried Florida last year, spent $6k in a month. Rentals there were cheaper, lots more things to do, and beach access was free for the handicapped in Daytona Beach.
Yet, this year we thought we’d go back to our favorite beaches, @Durant Station, the Point, the Hatteras lighthouse, Canadian Hole, and Ocracoke’s Ramp 59.
$120 may not seem like much, (no Senior or handicapped discount?) but that is what I spend on bait and tackle in two weeks, or gas on my 1000 mile round trip. We feel like we are losing a friend, over a $120 fee.

Interconnected

January 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Infections. Couldn’t be all those factory hog “farms” dumping noxious waste into lagoons that ultimately pollute the coast?

Factory hogs vs seafood

Or old fashion farmed hogs and seafood

Interconnected

V M England

October 10, 2012 11:52 pm

I really fail to see the point of this new beach charge. It just isn’t good for the Outer Banks. It will cost too many jobs due to the lost tourism. In a time when people are struggling to make ends meet, we need to make places easer to access rather than harder. I really hope this is overturned in the near future. The federal government needs to stop taking over everything. Every time they get involved it just makes it worst. Very concerned in VA.

DAN L.

September 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Last Oct. I came down to Buxton & was able to fish the beach free of charge.
Free being a relative term… I spent about a fifteen hundred dollars for hotel, food at local grocery stores & restaurants, gas, tackle, bait, & gift shops…
This year we have rented a beautiful ocean front home & will be here for two weeks… the home alone for the two weeks in this off season… $7800.00.
With all of the extra items such as I mentioned above… this years expenses will come real close to $10,000… Now I have to spend more money to get on the beach to surf fish & just drive along & watch the sea in all it’s splendor.
Disgusting… shame on the powers that be for enacting this policy.. no real good will come of it. It will cost the locals money & the state will lose future sales tax revenue from this family.. I will not be back.

Joe

September 2, 2012 10:44 am

Ok. Thank you for killing my pride of NC. I don’t mind contributing to help the state but stop being a gold digger. And why can’t they include a one day pass?? I live to 2 hours away and i only get a limited time to get to the beach. I went the other day for the first time since last year. Come on people. Think of the people and not the wallet. How come it’s illegal to sale deer meat because game in NC is protected from collecting money on wild game but NC is collecting money for birds or turtles that is NOT a food source.

john doe

August 25, 2012 2:37 pm

I’m sure you won’t be able to walk on the beach soon in case you startle a bird but this is really just about grabbing your money. Probably soon you will have to pay to walk on the beach. Outrageous you say? Really?how is it any different?

john doe

August 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I cancelled all my vacation plans to the outer banks for the foreseeable future. Sorry but I’m tired of being gouged and taxed to death. they will get less money at the outer banks in the long run.

Kent Newton

August 12, 2012 1:07 pm

I absolutely detest the National Park Service and strongly resent having to buy this permit.

tom g

June 5, 2012 8:41 pm

why not discuss this option with the powers that be,if you are going to SCREW the vacationers that come to the outer banks for decades,take some of this money and build toll booths at each and every ramp. you . i cant say what i am thinking,but i think you get the picture.

Tia

May 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Why should we have to pay to drive on the beaches when not even half of the entry ramps are even open? They are soon going to lose money because people are going to stop going to that area. The only reason we go to that area is because of the ability to drive on the beaches and it is less crowded than Nags Head. But now I may have to spend my money elsewhere!

john R

May 21, 2012 5:11 pm

I just decided that the outer banks will no longer be the place I spend my $3,000 dollar vacation money. The fun has been slipping away for several years with all the fences and park service officials. I like to fish but the fishing has also gone down hill. This is the last nail in the coffin for the people that live there and people that loved the freedom if beaching in a vehicle. There are nicer beaches to go to with easier access if you need to walk to the beach better sand and more shallow to wade. My last trip was Oct 2011 and I mean my last trip. For 30 year I have enjoyed the love of the people and the beach but it is time to move on.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES. Another Government debacle!!
John

Don M.

May 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Whats wrong with this picture?
This country was started so as to form a government that was BY THE PEOPLE,OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE.
So why is it that as the people we,re standing by and allowing the government to destroy everything this country was built on. What we are really talking about here is land that belongs to we the people is being taken away. By my understanding of the constitution property of the people cannot be taken without due process, And everyone has the right to representation. This is something that effects millions of citizens of this country. Why have the people of this country not had a part in the decisions being made about our land? This an election year make the best of it. Everyone should contact every one of your representatives and remind them that this is a representative democracy and your vote counts. No matter what state you live in its time to make your voice heard. You have two choices!! Cower in the corner and let the government walk all over you. OR be an American and stand up and shout it from the roof tops if need be to make it known that your voice will be heard wheather they like it or not!! Me personaly I choose the latter of the two and will not let my country and my rights be destroyed without a fight if it means I have to go to capitol hill by myself and demand answers. Its time we the people take our country back.

john R

May 9, 2012 7:44 am

I just decided that the outer banks will no longer be the place I spend my vacation money(around $3000.00 per year). The fun has been slipping away for several years with all the fences and park service officials. I like to fish but the fishing has also gone down hill. This is the last nail in the coffin for the people that live there and people that loved the freedom if beaching in a vehicle. There are nicer beaches to go to with easier access if you need to walk to the beach better sand and more shallow to wade. My last trip was Oct 2011 and I mean my last trip. For 30 year I have enjoyed the love of the people and the beach but it is time to move on.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES. Another Government debacle!!
John

Oneye

May 3, 2012 12:07 pm

Well folks money talks and bulls___ walks. We can’t get this changed one person at the time. However property and business owners in the area can. I suggest the following.
Buy as many items as you can that you would like to have with you before you go. Fishing rods, Bait, Food, except for maybe a little splurging, Fill up with gas before the island, etc. etc. Make them feel your pain. $120 is crazy.
They will not count your vote but they want to count your money.So GET ER DONE PEOPLE or just be a candy a_s. I do wish the business owners the best but this crap has to stop.

RaleighCJ5

February 24, 2012 10:59 am

While this does seem unfair to the ORV community, I really don’t see any of it changing once it’s in place. Perhaps a proposal to offer the permits as Carolina Beach does.. They allow a person to purchase an ORV permit at half price until April. This allows locals and NC residents who regularly use the beach an ample chance to obtain a permit. During the vacation months, this would keep a lot of the vacationers out (full price fee) which I believe are the ones that y’all speak about tearing up the beaches and not respecting the environment. IDK, just my opinion.. To be honest, I hate that their is a fee altogether, I feel that the next step could be not allowing ORV’s at all. Please people, lets all think the next time we vote!!!!

FdaGovernment

February 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Lets look at where we are at and why:

1. Defenders of Wildlife and Audubon Society sued the National Park Service (and won) because they didn’t have an ORV plan in place (or so they say). Driving on the beach for over 20 years, I can tell you the NPS always protected wildlife and their plan actually worked out fine with the public. I can also say that the people in general took special care of the environment. You never saw trash or individuals treating wildlife in a way that would endanger them. I saw many of foxes taking out birds and nests. They are a natural predator and thus it makes since. I also saw major storms over the last 20-30 years that have completely changed the ecosystem. They know darn well that various bird diseases are the cause for the trends of bird populations up and down but will never show that in their data. Instead, they remove that and try to manipulate the data in their favor just like the senators do on TV constantly. The Wildlife folks can throw around all the data they want, but they weren’t there for 30 years living in this environment. These organizations were started to help protect animals and environments and were initially good intentions. However, because of their actions, are now impeding on peoples liberties throughout the world and that is taking things entirely to far.

2. Since Park Service didn’t have an ORV plan in place at the time, most people would think that they spend a day or so and draw one up that is best for the environment they manage (I mean heck they live here). However, no that isn’t the case. Instead the Defender of Wildlife and Audubon Society don’t agree with the plan and write the plan for the NPS with the help of a liberal judge Boyle. the Park Service now has to implement a plan that basically requires the national guard to oversee, thus they need more funds.

3. They require fishing licenses to fish the Coastal waters of NC to help cover the funds, but it isn’t enough.

4. They now require a ORV driving permit to cover the funds, but that won’t be enough either.

5. What will happen next, the Park Service will say they don’t have enough funds or people to control the Seashore, Boyle will then have the ORV sections permanently closed. All this will happen because 2 lobbyist environmental agencies stuck their nose in peoples liberties and costs escalated. Everything they get involved in always requires a ton more money in lawyers fees, and micromanaging every single aspect of the Park.

6. Congressmen and Judges really do take their compensation for granted. They tend to side with lobbyists, lawyers, and environmentalists over the people on a regular basis. If people refuse to pay taxes, Boyle, the Senators, and the National Park Service will be OUT of a job and won’t get paid. To me that is the true answer to this problem.

obxbratz

February 22, 2012 3:10 pm

I only have two thoughts:

1st – If the plovers felt like they were in danger, then they’d move to a safer location (like across the road) because they are SMARTER than the brain-trusts that were able to get our beaches closed in the first place!

AND,

2nd – For those that don’t have a problem paying for using something that God created for all of us to enjoy, might I recommend relocation to JERSEY?

Pirate

February 19, 2012 12:23 pm

The Audubon is full of crap. See link below

I have heard the society changed their mind but the fact they were even considering this proves to me that they are full of it.

Mark Scott

February 16, 2012 5:58 pm

It is another tax for something’ we already pay taxes for and it is regressive at that. Another case of taxation without representation!

Koyaanisqatsi

February 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Environmentalist groups influencing Democratic politicians for reasons that have NOTHING to do with the environment, they want NO ONE TO LIVE ON HATTERAS ISLAND
!
They will be comming after us next !!!Everyone on the outer banks needs to support our neighbors on hatteras island. Surfers, fisherman, beach-goers unite and protect our right to go to the beach ! If not, we are all tourists, and will have to live with that.

James a Crocker

February 13, 2012 9:15 am

It’s not the $120 that bothers me, it’s the Federal Gov’t slowly creeping into our lives. Where’s Thomas Jefferson when we need him?

Seth

February 12, 2012 10:18 am

So, i was telling some friends about these fees, and guess what they said? “Oh, I’m not going down there anymore. Local stated that it will thin out the heard but maybe a bit too much. First, the tourists stop coming, then the rental house will stop being rented and the stores will get less business. Some will goo out of business others will struggle to stay in business. This is going to ruin the local economy.

Paul F.

February 11, 2012 8:50 pm

This is a National Seashore that belongs to all…so no breaks for locals, If I have to pay so should you. Having to pay for a National treasure that does belong to all is absured anyway…

V

February 11, 2012 12:17 am

My husband and I have been coming to OB since the 88. We lived In Chesapeake for awhile and spent every weekend there for a few years. We still come there today. We eat at local restaurants, and always go to Red Drum Tackle. The locals have always been friendly and nothing but kind to us. We have OBX on our license plates. Our family waits for the summer to make our yearly trip for sun and surf. Thanks for the heads up on the fee. God bless all of you!

wayne

February 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, I have been coming to OBX years. First trip 1972, However last year final trip. Everyone suffers!

Koyaanisqatsi

February 10, 2012 2:40 pm

This will be bad for the residents of Hatteras Island who have businesses. It is a lot about growing the size of government, in this case, Park Service. They will have to hire more employees to collect the money and administer the money collection program. More employeees to enforce the new rules, mark out the areas of concern, keep the signs posted and maintained, on and on. It is the way of the Democratic Party to support over-regulation, so their friends can be given jobs to regulate and enforce the regulations, and then vote for the Democrats to keep them in office, keeping the regulation and employment ball rolling. Having said that, current Democratic Admistration can be considered to be at fault. At least they would NEVER act to stop something like this that has no benefit to nature or the public and harms peoples livelyhoods.

bbc

February 9, 2012 9:20 pm

it’s a home depot, not a lowes. they are building a new lowes further to the south.

and by the way, it’s bush’s fault J/K

zach

February 9, 2012 4:04 pm

Bill, don’t clutter Termite’s mind with facts.

Throw him a tea bag.

Bill

February 9, 2012 12:20 pm

Termite, this has nothing to do with Obama, where are your facts for this assertion??

Its simply localized response around NPS managed land situated in a now “high density” population area. Remember, 15 years ago, we got a Walmart that was the only place open during the winter months…, today we have a Lowes at the foot of the Wright Memorial, winter bypass traffic similar to summer levels, and permitted ORV access starting next week. A lot has changed here over the past 15-20 years, and it all centers on population growth/accommodation, and nothing to do with a sitting President of the US.

I love how even something like this draws the “oh, blame Obama!” crowd/response. Ridiculous, nonsense.

termite

February 8, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks alot Barack and Weeze, your change is killing an island and the future of the Outer Banks..please vote to get the demos out..

Bad Brad

February 7, 2012 7:03 pm

What a bunch of crap. Next they will charge us for dipping sand fleas- what do you think Jane?

bbc

February 7, 2012 6:34 pm

i’ve never run over anyone :o)

Happy Barracuda

February 7, 2012 4:22 pm

bbc – You and I have been avoiding running each other over in the ocean before Reagan was president.

Bill

February 7, 2012 2:53 pm

Well, I guess I will have to spend $120 to haul my gear out onto the beach to find the ideal surf breaks in NPS territory in 2012.

As others noted, at least the bright side is that perhaps we will no longer have light SUVs and passenger cars bottomed out blocking ramps, and loud monster trucks spinning sand and polluting the audio ambiance of enjoying the beach.

No more “parking lot” weekends at Oregon Inlet, Billy Mitchell, and/or Cape Point. Though in the end, those that really want to be out there will pay.

Enforcement this summer will be “interesting too.” There are going to be many, many people who will not know of the new rules and will be out there driving on the beach anyway.

Al

February 7, 2012 1:17 pm

Actually,it is not the Park Service who ruled on beach driving issues. It was a Federal Judge. The Park Service gets the bad rap because they are charged with enforcement. Say what you will, but the ParkService has a job to do based on the directives handed down by the courts. Many of these park service people are longtime residents here too. Some of you come off as a bit more ignorant than you are extreme, for you comments.

bbc

February 7, 2012 9:18 am

happy……i’ve been living and surfing on hatteras island for 35 years……

Happy Barracuda

February 7, 2012 6:53 am

Sorry to get off topic here -

Outer Banks Water Quality –
bbc, Notice how clear the waters look when the mid-atlantic region has had no rain for a while, NO RUN-OFF.
Notice during and after days of North East onshore winds the brown water color. This is caused by waves and currents stirring up the silt on the sandbar bottom. And the water being pushed down from Oregon Inlet, Chesapeake Bay, Deleware Bay, New York Blight, etc. What do you think is in that water?
I’m no expert on water quality, but I know what looks right and wrong. After Hurricane Irene, many surfers in Northern Dare County were affected with ears, eyes, and throat infections. Did you surf a week after Hurricane Floyd in 1999? The ocean water was a color not found in nature. I got to surf in the excrement of millions of hogs, chickens, turkeys, and humans. Maybe that’s what is wrong with me.

Grandy

February 6, 2012 11:23 pm

Corolla, here we come!!!

zach

February 6, 2012 10:54 pm

bbc

February 6, 2012 10:46 pm

happy…….since the nags head area is WAY more populated than hatteras island, then it must be the most polluted

i surf a lot on down here on hatteras island and the water is cleaner than most other places i’ve ever been. i’ve never, ever gotten sick or anything else from it.

John

February 6, 2012 10:30 pm

Oh and just wait until they close off the beach because their idea of too many using it comes about and those holding permits are going to be standing with their jaws dropped!

John

February 6, 2012 10:28 pm

This is really going to hurt the OBX economy and way of life. So sad!

TRIOBX

February 6, 2012 9:01 pm

There are many strong opinions here presented. I believe we all want to enjoy this beautiful place, many of us call home & others visit for generations. Just like our political situation today, there is the far left and far right opinion. Saddly the unheard voices are the ones in the middle who want to share nature, maintain a island culture/civilization lifestyle and welcome visistors and supply the OBX Catch! It doesn’t appear to work nationally and unfortunately not here with the special interest groups and Park Service bowing to outside pressure!Legally the original order for the Seashore states that the locals will be able to utilize/access for ever by allowing the formation of the park! Unfortunately charging people now was probably never in the intent when formed!Mother nature will decide ultimately the fate and existance of bird, animal and man on the OBX- lets all compromise and work together, not disguise opnions as facts! Walk the beach, drive the beach, drop a line, visit a local tackle shop, eat at a local restaraunt, stay at a local hotel and most inportantly watch the aw in your grandchilds face at seeing and playing in Mother Ocean! I pay the fee as a local to continue to be awed by the OBX, but if there is a rea; breach of contract concerning the formation and utilization of the seashore, I will gladley join in!

Brian

February 6, 2012 6:11 pm

National Park Service Long Term Plan for Hatteras Island = Portsmouth Island. They will not be happy till everyone is gone from living down there and visiting!

Happy Barracuda

February 6, 2012 4:32 pm

I don’t have a water pollution test kit, but I know what clear clean saltwater looks, smells, and feels like.

And talking to island medical personel who tell of commercial fishermen having strange infections and rashes.

And the growing number of Kiteboarding Instructors who spend hours standing in the Pamilco Sound are now seeing new types of infections.

How can there be ten’s of thousands of septic tanks and drainfields on the edge of the ocean and sound and it be clean? And that is just Dare County.

I’m sure less development means less pollution……..

bbc

February 6, 2012 9:19 am

happy……can you document your pollution statement. is nags head less polluted? va. beach?

Allan

February 6, 2012 6:54 am

Thank you, Barracuda, for the excellent re-focus.

bbc, I can agree with you if you place the date when “all this mess started” at about 1945.

zach

February 6, 2012 3:10 am

That’s exactly right Happy Barracuda.

There doesn’t seem to be much concern for the preservation of our unique ecosystem for future generations to enjoy.

Irene was just the first salvo in Mother Nature’s plan to “level the playing field”.

Happy Barracuda

February 5, 2012 9:31 pm

Hatteras Island is eroding into the ocean.

Highway 12 is flooded every storm.

The Maritime forest is quickly dying.

The waters surrounding it are very polluted.

But our main concern is DRIVING ON THE BEACH?

bbc

February 5, 2012 5:27 pm

yes allan, we’ve adapted by cutting two employees from our staff.

the birds and turtles were doing fine until all this mess started……. mother nature probably the biggest threat of all.

bbc

February 5, 2012 9:37 am

northern dare county rejoice……you will gain all the visitors we will lose so there’s a boatload of money in your future. start planning on spending it now.

Allan

February 5, 2012 8:25 am

So the turtles and the birds have to adapt, but the humans don’t because they are entitled to their fun. Is that the best argument the beach-churners can offer??

Sue

February 5, 2012 7:37 am

Perhaps the fees will weed out the trash that trashes up the beaches. That can’t be a bad thing.

sam brady

February 5, 2012 12:33 am

what parts have banned completly 4 sections said newspaper?

Seth

February 4, 2012 12:35 pm

All of you who are saying we are lucky we have access, need to look back when the tree huggers had not taken over yet. We had access everywhere and us and the birds had no issues. And everyone saying “just walk” need to realize we don’t drive because we are lazy but because it’s fun. Putting up these fences around eggs won’t help at all, the turtles need to adapt, the treehuggers are hurting the environment more than helping it.

Local.

February 4, 2012 9:12 am

Good News ………..

Should help thin the Herd.

bbc

February 4, 2012 8:59 am

Junkman says:

Who needs to drive on a beach anyways ? Park the car, walk to the beach and get some exercise.

easy words to say when it doesn’t involve you. have you ever walked two miles to get to your favorite beach fishing spot? favorite surf spot? favorite safe family beach spot(i’m referring to the cove here)? a lot of people are not physically able to do so. and……last summer people weren’t allowed to walk on the beach in certain areas unless they were in the water.

hatteras island sorely lacks public parking areas and walkways to the beach. there’s promises from the NPS to build them but where’s the $$$ to come from?

charlie

February 3, 2012 10:03 pm

This all stems from Nixon’s “executive order” No one ever voted for it…So the fees are taxation without representation pure and simple.

And…executive orders can be countermanded.

J

February 3, 2012 9:14 pm

Seems everyone wants the government to keep their hands out of things until they need FEMA relief or an emergency bridge built.

Bob

February 3, 2012 8:39 pm

YOU should have been WE. Sorry.

Bob

February 3, 2012 8:36 pm

Ken–Politics baby! Doesn’t matter what side you fall on! The system is screwed up. You nailed with your last line!…..But, you and many others still can’t see the forest because the trees get in the way! YOU are lucky you still can drive on the beach at all. Be mad at those who never took the initiative to create a management plan, even after they were warned. Be mad at the tree-hugging judge that loves plovers. Just don’t be mad at people because they are smart enough to know that this is better than the other alternatives.

Steve

February 3, 2012 5:32 pm

well…. people are going to keep coming and keep spending money. This is not a big deal. Nation wide there are very few… if any beaches that you can drive on for free.

Carolyn

February 3, 2012 5:21 pm

Ibxer and candid make a lot of sense. If the ORV community had gotten together, organized and shown they want to respect the beaches and the natural inhabitants, things would be different at this point OR that group would have a legitimate argument. They didn’t and they don’t. As our local environment becomes more fragile from abuse, more changes will have to happen. Be smart and organize to make a positive impact instead of continuing to act like selfish children who had their ice cream taken away because they didn’t clean up after themselves. We’re adults.

A

February 3, 2012 5:06 pm

It’s ashame but I prob won’t be heading for my annually house rental, surf fish and charter trip. They really know how to ruin a good thing.

ken

February 3, 2012 3:42 pm

Candid, Wilbur, Knox, very easy to figure your Marxist views, and how you think, things should be. There are way too many of you, living here and living throughout our country.
What you don’t understand is; that we are taxed to death as it is and this is just another tax! I loved what bbc said “they need the money to pay the people who are collecting the money” It is a microcosm of our country, pay taxes to employ people, we don’t need working, at jobs that we don’t need!

Wilbur

February 3, 2012 12:40 pm

To all that are complaining about the ORV management plan…its better than no access at all! Because that was the other option. And as far as driving on the beach goes, out of the 395 Park service units in the country, 15 have this privilage and most have a fee. Examples, Cape Cod NS, and Assateage Island.

candid

February 3, 2012 12:21 pm

Nice Junkman!!

I couldn agree more. You still have a choice!! Pay and drive or dont and walk. Its so simple

Junkman

February 3, 2012 10:15 am

Knox

February 3, 2012 8:56 am

Typical OBX locals and natives, their sense of entitlement is legendary. They have been using those beaches as their personal playground for years. It’s about time someone stepped in and made them accountable. Freedom is NOT free and has NEVER been free. Natural resources are limited commodities and they have been treated on the OBX as infinite for decades. Wake up people.

NagsHead2

February 3, 2012 7:51 am

This is what hope and change gets you! Vote wisely this year folks.

bbc

February 2, 2012 9:47 pm

locals are considered ‘visitors’ and will be charged.

it is not a ‘national park’, it is a ‘national seashore recreation area’…….and there is a difference

the locals did get involved but the NPS doesn’t give a c@#p about any of the people that live on hatteras island

jakub

February 2, 2012 7:46 pm

I have been coming in the outer banks for 40 years, camping and house rentals. My family,their friends and mine have joined us many times. We mostly come down for fishing and had many great times. We have to put up with the commercial fisherman killing all the stripers and now this. I will definitely be looking elsewhere for my ventures.

bronzbck

February 2, 2012 7:01 pm

Locals not charged….It is a national Park, everyone’s park, we are all visitors. If the locals would have got involved this mess might not have happened. The big thing I love hearing now is if the outsiders didn’t come this wouldn’t have happened.

Ginny

February 2, 2012 6:59 pm

Donna,

NO, the fee is for everyone. Residents, surrounded by park service land on three sides with the sound on the fourth are not considered as living within the seashore but adjacent to it. As such, we are considered visitors and according to the economic impact statement have plenty of other leisure time activities.

I say its time to assess the park for thier share of the water rescue, fire, and road maint.–4,000 residents surely don’t need the level of support provided and don’t do that much damage to the roads. In fact, with only 4,000 residents we could probably do just as well with the old sand roads.

DT OZONE

February 2, 2012 6:39 pm

Been going there since the 70′s yearly from VA and knew this was coming sooner or later, not good for the locals for sure. But this money should be going to the bridges, roads, and access to these beaches. Not for government protection fees…I will pay the fees and be back in 012…

ekim

February 2, 2012 3:54 pm

This all part of a bigger plan yall ,Those who tell us to shut up an pay don,t deserve to play. They just dont get it, Worse is coming with the NPS bozozs WATCH an see!!!! Give up a little freedom for safty YOU DESERVE NIETHER!!!!

candid

February 2, 2012 3:03 pm

” absurd attack” $10 dollars a month??!! really! Does anyone realize how close we were to not being able to drive on the beaches at all. Closed down for good was the other option.

Stop being so emotional and think logically please…

blackbeard

February 2, 2012 1:46 pm

a fee on the locals is a absurd/attack on thier livelyhood,thier heritage and thier future
the outerbanks is one of the best places on the east coast to enjoy outdoor/water recreation
people from all over the world come here to enjoy its beachs,waterways and lifestyle [so thier is a impact these resources] but let the locals decide if a small fee for non residents is justified [which i for one would pay if it went back to the local community that let me enjoy thier beachs, waterways, laidback lifestyle]

candid

February 2, 2012 1:41 pm

” i remeber back in the day” Well its a new day people. We can still drive on the beaches.Isn’t that the point. In some places the fee is $400-600 for local residents. Stop complaining and take in the sceney. As a resident i am thankful for each day I have on this beautiful island.

I will pay the $120 happily

Ray R

February 2, 2012 12:20 pm

This is Crazy,Been coming to Hatteras since i was like( put it this way my parents had 57 chevy and we slept in from and them in the trunk at Cape Point Campgrounds) This sounds like more Barak Obama Crap, Take the country down, I’m retired and 120 bucks is a lot of cash.. why waste 50…I’m in The NCBBA and proud of it..First off the Bird people ( Audubon Society ) got 1 million donation from TOYOTA, so yall buying toyota’s have helped that out…I feel for the bait shops and all the business’s that count on all of us coming down and spending money..campgrounds, food stores, bait shops etc! Hard enuff to afford gas to get there.I am so mad right now..I sure hope the demon crats get voted out of presidency and all offices….God save us please

Tracy

February 2, 2012 12:06 pm

On the National Park Services website they have printed that “visitors” have to pay for the permit. What is considered a “visitor”? Is this for out of state “visitors”? They need more information and details on this outrageous fee. Everyone call your representatives and the local NPS and voice your opposition NOW! You have to put pressure on them. This is the only way that they will repeal this fee. Do they not realize how much this “fee” will hurt the businesses down the beach? I guess they just don’t care!

Tackle

February 2, 2012 11:39 am

The money is to cover the cost permit program, NPS employee wages, rent on those trailers, an any overhead associated with running that program. One of the many terrible things about this plan is the promise of new ramps and parking areas when the NPS has yet to do a cost analysis for these improvements???? They have no idea what these improvements are going to cost! After the plan is implemented and and the estimate for the improvements is in the millions, guess who’s going to pay for that???? This is just the start, these fees will increase and everyone including pedestrians will eventually have to pay to get on the beach

Funny

February 2, 2012 10:14 am

“That charge is for non-locals right????”

ROFLMAO..you wish that was the case.

beachornot

February 2, 2012 10:04 am

The NPS gave the rationale for the cost as the entire monitoring program was supposed to be cost neutral. Therefore the cost of manning the permit stations, printing costs and enforcement costs were supposed to be paid by the permit program itself. As I understand the initial decree, this is an arbitrary figure and can be adjusted year to year dependent upon the cost neutral formula. And Donna, this does include all of us!

Ap

February 2, 2012 9:51 am

Dont like the idea of having to pay to go out there, but hoping the fee will filter out some of the traffic on the beach. Way too many people iut there and the beach stays torn up from ignorant drivers showing off.

Jack L.

February 2, 2012 9:44 am

How is change working for you?? The Federal government again reaching deeper and deeper into our pockets.

Ibxer

February 2, 2012 9:23 am

Quit bellyaching. At least you still have your free Hatteras/Ocracoke ferry not to mention all the state and federal tax dollars being used to keep Oregon Inlet open and Hwy. 12 out of the ocean. I’m now going to have to pay at least $10 each way to go back and forth to my job via the Bayview ferry. The ORV community could have prevented this by self-policing all along. As usual a few rotten apples spoiled the barrel.

Mermaid

February 2, 2012 9:18 am

It’s the fleecing of America, everyone!!!

roanokeislander

February 2, 2012 8:33 am

the money is to pay for administering the permit. no park or envrionmental improvements, just 3 ugly trailers and the new staff to oversee us and make sure we watch that vidio. never mind that the tachnology exists to do that online for way cheaper. hey it is only money…..

local genius

February 2, 2012 8:14 am

On the one hand, it will thin out the herd a bit. On the other hand, the fee seems high. How about a discount for residents?

Native son

February 2, 2012 7:54 am

Those that choose to not follow Pres.Nixon’s mandate while in the position of Superintendent of Cape Hatteras National Seashore in the ’70′s and ’80′s need to be tarred and feathered for this,the end result of their in-activity while holding that position!!!

bbc

February 1, 2012 11:56 pm

they need the money to pay the people who are collecting the money

James

February 1, 2012 11:49 pm

How much are the fines if one is caught driving on the beach without a driving permit?

Andrew

February 1, 2012 10:32 pm

I agree with the above…what does the money have to do with anything? I could understand them charging a fee if they did something to maintain the beaches like they do during the summer up north, but this just seems like an thinly veiled fleecing of residents and visitors alike. How can we find out where the money goes to?

Donna

February 1, 2012 10:29 pm

That charge is just for non-locals, right????

Cs

February 1, 2012 9:11 pm

I remember back in the late 90′s when some group, don’t recall who it was went after the use of personal watercraft on Cape Hatteras Seashore. Several fisherman also jumped on the wagon with these folks. The park service caved in and did an all out ban which excuded pwc’s from being launched or retrieved on park service property. People should have realized this was the beginning loss of freedoms. But the majority didn’t seem to care. Now we have limited access and expensive permits to deal with.

Naten

February 1, 2012 8:54 pm

@Kevin – New Jersey does charge you just to walk on the beach. They call them beach tags and it sure takes the majesty out of nature to have a little ticket booth at the entrance to the beach.

Please don’t let that happen in OBX!

Achilles

February 1, 2012 7:12 pm

It’s all about control, and justifying their existance.

Kevin Gray Conner

February 1, 2012 6:28 pm

How long is it going to take before the NPS starts charging fees to simply walk along the seashore? Don’t think it can’t happen! This is an act of tyranny thrust upon us by a government that simply doesn’t give a damn us, the people!

ekim

February 1, 2012 6:20 pm

The director of the NPS stated last week, I stand with the occupiers an their BELIEVES. SO you see what we’er up against. Thanks countie commissioners,Stan White GOV Perdue. We need to take our country back starting with our BEACHES! VOTE EM OUT!!!!

Brett Barley

February 1, 2012 6:10 pm

this is absolutely ridiculous…

why are we being punished because the Park Service forgot to set up their ORV Rules years ago???

i’m with “confused” on this one… what does MONEY have to do with any of this??? i was talking with a friend, and yearly beach driving permits are $30 in Florida. why $120??? thats just absurd.

i feel let down…

Dwayne

February 1, 2012 4:08 pm

One of the great things about the Outer Banks that lured me and my wife to sell our home in Va and move here was our love of the National Seashore and being able to freely drive on and fish from its shores. Many have made their this there home as well as their livelihood as a result of the business it brings to this region. My hope is that the region continues to prosper from all the business the Defenders of the Wildlife bring to replace that which has surely been lost. As for me, I will no longer enjoy that which brought us here because of a small group.

waymajor

February 1, 2012 3:03 pm

sooo…120 bucks/yr beach driving permit + 200 bucks/yr commercial fishing license + boat registration (depending on length of boat) + 15 bucks for salt water fishing license + species specific charges for targeted fish (ie Rockfish tags) = 335+ bucks for a native commercial fisherman like me who started fishing when there were no fees at all…about a Dollar a day on top of property taxes, sand tax, water and sewer tax, vehicle tax, gas tax and vehicle license plate/registration tax, vehicle inspection tax, boat tax and trailer tag tax, driver’s license fee (tax), and if one makes a mistake on amount of by-catch or type of gear used to fish then another fine (tax)…freedom sure isn’t free…then there’s the Federal taxes

Confused

February 1, 2012 2:20 pm

Understanding how the ball was dropped for not following the directive back in the day, what does money have to do with having a management plan?

Why charge money all of a sudden for driving on the beach?

Enact rules and have a plan, but what is the money for?

Way to go.

Tony

February 1, 2012 2:07 pm

They are beating us down, bit by bit…….