Mid-Currituck bridge one step closer to reality

By on January 19, 2012

The final environmental impact statement has been released on a proposed toll bridge over the Currituck Sound that would stretch between the mainland and Corolla.

The N.C. Turnpike Authority plans for construction on the bridge to start before the end of 2012, with the span opening to traffic by 2017.

In a news release, the Turnpike Authority says the 294-page statement confirms the preferred alternative for the project which involves construction of the bridge, as well as limited improvements to existing N.C. 12 and U.S. 158.

Final federal approval of the project is expected this spring, when the Federal Highway Administration issues its Record of Decision.

“The approval of this FEIS marks an important step forward for this project, which has been years in the making,” said David Joyner, Executive Director of the Turnpike Authority.

“As the environmental planning process nears completion, the Turnpike Authority will determine over the next few months whether to proceed with the public-private partnership option or utilize municipal financing to build the project,” Joyner said.

The impact statement addresses comments received on the project’s Draft Environmental Impact Statement.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE STUDY AND OTHER RELATED DOCUMENTS

The Turnpike Authority says hard copies of the statement will be available by February 3 at the Currituck County Courthouse; public libraries in Corolla, Barco, and Moyock; the Town of Duck Administrative Building; Town Halls in Kitty Hawk and Southern Shores; the NCDOT Maintenance Yard Office in Maple; as well as by appointment at the Turnpike Authority Office in Raleigh.

Comments regarding the impact statement will be accepted until March 12, by email to midcurrituck@ncdot.gov or mailed to Jennifer Harris, P.E., North Carolina Turnpike Authority, 1578 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-1578.
GO TO HOME PAGE »

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Joe D

February 7, 2013 9:15 am

Funny any one
worried about spoiling
Corolla at this point. Maybe some one should have thought about that befor allowing all the giant houses to be built right on top of each other. I think that boat has sailed. The bridge should have been built years ago. But we waste money on study after study and argue about it n court to make the tree huggers happy.

OBXWhat

February 6, 2012 9:45 am

1. Bridge is needed (love to see all of the “save corolla” posters here that seem to be ok with the traffic jams in the summer in other communities (duck/ss), this will alleviate to some degree that problem and get the people that are coming to Corolla in the first place there faster.)
2. Growth is inevitable in beautiful desirable areas, why do you think people are coming there to start off? Easing this traffic is not going to do one damn thing to the environment, these bridges have been put in similar ecosystems and have only seen populations actually thrive with additional.
3. Birds are second to the needs of humans, you will never see this change.
have fun!

Salvo Jimmy

January 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Over 50

I’m guessing you don’t live on the Outer Banks since the area is frequently emergency evacuated and your use of “if” indicates it’s never happened.

Once the evacuation order is given, if you are in the ordered group and don’t obey, then you give up your ability to sue.

BTW I live in a 3 story town house and my 2 story place on the Banks is effectively 3 stories since it’s on pilings. Ever hear of escape ladders ????

OBTW I’m a Tar Heel Born, Tar Heel Breed, etc.

Over 50, but not Oldschool

January 26, 2012 8:26 am

I have lived in NC for 40+years, but the mentallity of the majority of the people here is something that I will never identify with…The Bridge is a Necessity! I would hate to think (as bad as triffic is during the summer months) that if we had an emergency evacuation, for a stormm or a Sunami, like hit Galveston-TX a few years ago, and all the lives that would be lost, because the locals refuse to except the fact that growth is inevitible! And from a business point of view, any business south of Corolla is not going to suffer because a bridge is going to be built! People are still going to get out and go shopping or eat or just explore.
To me, being up in Corolla/Corova is like being in a three story building with only one entrance and exit, and if there was an emergency, I need to be prepared to die, because I’ve only got a 50/50 chance of survivial, and even if I was to survive it would not be without injury! And I would sue! I would sue the townships, and county for lack of preparation to ensure my families safety!

SherBear

January 25, 2012 11:18 am

I agree with s.h.l, Bob Knows, Not Another Jersey, Sue, s.h.i@Maggie; RnR — as a homeowner in Corolla, I think the bridge will bring many more unwanted changes. The traffic can be a problem for a few months, however, I do believe it will still be a problem after the bridge. Just too many cars in too small an area. However, that being said, it is a lesson in patience and if you want to vacation in this beautiful area or live on the northern beaches, then you have to deal with it! A big honkin bridge is not going to add to the beauty either!!!!!!!

Rob

January 24, 2012 12:06 pm

What is Stan White’s position on the bridge, I once heard that he wished to be instrumental in seeing to it that it never be built. I wonder if that rumor was true?
Also, Where do our other elected officials and office seekers stand on this issue and it’s funding?

Rob

January 24, 2012 11:59 am

On of the small parts stuck in with the bridge project is a third westbound lane from the marketplace shopping center to Duck Woods Dr. As a resident on Duck Woods Drive, I can see no benefit from this extension. I believe it will only create another uneeded pressure point for a right to left merge that unfamiliar vacatrioners will not anticipate and will not respond to safely. I guess it will provide some form of entertainment for me as I wait to make a simple left turn from my street. Bumper Cars with no admission !

Steve

January 24, 2012 9:01 am

Find a private partner for the Oregon Inlet Bridge and charge a toll… I am sure it would get built quickly then…

RnR

January 24, 2012 8:43 am

yea! lets make all the tourons happy! Lets move our wildlife that has been here since the 1400′s. Lets build a huge bridge and let everyone but the struggling locals get some of the work. To all u who bitch about the long drive…You ever think that is why corolla is still pure and beautiful. Yea sure lets make more money for the state to waste, and an easier way for stupid humans to ruin what little natural wildlife we have. GREAT JOB!

Chris

January 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree with Megan “if you dont want it well take it on Hatteras Island” Guess Im confused sure there is an inconvenience in the area but wouldnt a more pressing issue be fix the temp bridge on Pea Island and temp repair to Rodanthe? Oh yes what about that nagging year after year question When is the Oregon Inlet Bridge getting replaced… just seems to me our tax dollars could be spent wiser.

Steve

January 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I for one who lives on the sound side… not too far from the proposed bridge… would like to enjoy my counties beautiful beaches and history without having to travel an hour and half through another county.

On another note, maybe the high toll will keep the traffic managable…

Frank Moore

January 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Big Daddy you are an angry man, shame.

Big Daddy

January 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Most people for the bridge are from Duck and Southern Shores. If you want to see the traffic reduced, widen your road all the way to Sanderling and then you can build the bridge in my back yard. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. You have no problem in messing with the charm of my property, so let’s screw up the charm of yours, too.

jem

January 23, 2012 12:01 pm

All the pros and cons are legitimate, but no thought has been given to the students who travel hours to get to school!

Salvo Jimmy

January 23, 2012 9:57 am

I wonder how long it will take to need traffic lights on the Corolla roundabout.

I lived in England and guess what they do at congested roundabouts ??? Yep, traffic lights.

PS in Colington

January 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Maggie, you’re exactly right, on both posts.

The arguments and merits for the bridge far outweigh those against.

Megan

January 22, 2012 7:31 pm

If you don’t want the bridge we will gladly take it for Hatteras island!

Maggie

January 22, 2012 4:29 pm

@shl….the “allure” of Corolla? Wall to wall styrofoam McMansions? And this ” allure” will somehow be ruined by improving access? The allure of Corolla was destroyed long ago. Just don’t all flush at once…the water table will likely implode.

Perry

January 22, 2012 1:05 pm

What I’m not hearing about is the relief for the people who live in Duck and Southern Shores who can’t leave their homes because of the Corollaites who clog the sole road to their “paradise” homes each weekend. There used to be a gate between Dare and Currituck; maybe it should be replaced until the new bridge is finished. And, although the Corps of Engineers doesn’t think it will speed evacuations…guess what?

ekim

January 22, 2012 11:51 am

I havent been to corolla since they built mcmansions on my old goose hunting spot, Thats when it was a nice place! Half of you never saw it when it was like that! Dont intend on ever going back, yall can have it!

johnr

January 22, 2012 11:30 am

I’ll be very pleasantly shocked if the bridge gets built. It’s much needed, but, the “powers” are so weak and afraid of those who claim only to wish to protect wildlife, water, plants, etc., that they’ll probably just bend over and grab their collective legs—–again—–. Healthy animals, mammals and the environment are obviously crucial to our planet, but, some of these people are just absolutely nuts with the extremes to which they go. The discouraging thing is no one who matters stands up to them—pathetic.

T.R

January 22, 2012 10:59 am

As a resident of Corolla my family can finally be able to use such things as the new beautiful new YMCA in Currituck, as well as other services the county provides which we were never able to use because of the distance.
But I think the people of Duck, Southern Shores are misguided in their logic that the traffic will be alleviated thru the towns, sure it might help on Saturday and Sunday, but what about the other 5 days.
The visitors in Corolla will go south into Dare County, not back over to Currituck especially on rainy days when the the cars are bumper to bumper thru Duck and S.S.
What is the solution for that?

obxdad

January 22, 2012 8:27 am

Well said Maggie!

Jonathan

January 22, 2012 7:34 am

This is to all those individuals that see this as a negative. I have lived on the Outer Banks all my life. It has changed and we cannot regress the development. Now that we have all the development we need the infrastructure to support it. I work for public safety and yes I am biast to this profession. We can no longer sit and watch all the roads tied up because people are stuck because of shear volume. We have to grow to meet the change. I know everybody has there own reasons for why they like or dislike the project. But lets face it the damage is done now we have to handle it.

Frank Moore

January 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Why should Corolia be more special then the whole of the OBX, as some suggest ?

VSF

January 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Exactly Maggie. It won’t change the type or amount of people going to Corolla. They’ll just get there faster.

s.h.l

January 21, 2012 5:29 pm

@Maggie….

That’s the allure of Corolla, the fact that it is secluded and off the beaten path. Furthermore, you can thank map quest for posting the alternate route and a lazy police force that does not enforce the no through traffic laws…and when the people start to throw their trash in front of the homes in Currituck its fine right?…because “its not in my back yard” right?
convenience over way of life…weak sauce

Rodger

January 21, 2012 12:48 pm

I love the idea that maybe in 2017 there will be less traffic – after the bridge – for me to get through on my way to Rodanthe. But why is it that the federal government gets to tell the state it is OK to build a bridge on state property?? I understand the environmental side, but I’m a state’s rights person and hate the fed getting in our (let’s say stuff) all the time.

Maggie

January 21, 2012 8:26 am

I find the nay saying here to be somewhat disingenuous. So routing the traffic to its destination in a more direct route will “ruin” Corolla? Oh please. What about the negative impact that all of that traffic has had on residential areas of Duck and Southern shores all these years? Neighborhood streets where one cannot go for a walk or bike ride due to the incessant stream of Corolla traffic? The garbage thrown on our lawns by the Corolla visitors weekend after weekend? All this because the main route north is so horribly congested? Not to mention the need for this bridge for hurricane evacuations. What is sad is that it may well be too little too late. So go ahead and sell your property, in fact please do.

John T

January 21, 2012 4:10 am

The last thing I can imagine is Corolla turning into another Jersey shore.Think Hilton Head,an upscale resort town with tons of shopping and restaurants,but not a Jersey shore……

Sue

January 20, 2012 9:00 pm

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Charlie

January 20, 2012 6:49 pm

okay,I’m all for the bridge, but now where will the money come from to build it? considering the state of the world economy.
I will believe it when I’m driving across it.

NOT ANOTHER JERSEY

January 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Been There Done that! People don’t realize what they have until its gone. The sad thing is that once it is realized, it is too late. Sure this bridge will ease traffic for awhile, but it will change a beautiful area to a “Jersey Shore”. I can hear Snookey now! I am from jersey and have been coming to OBX for years now because it isn’t very Jersey like. Wake up NC before its too late!

Bob Knows

January 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Bye Bye Corolla Charm! You will be missed!

Mark Williamson

January 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Well, is will be fun to fish around, and traffic will be alot better. Would you return here for vacation if it took you 5 hours to get from grandy to kitty hawk?

s.h.l

January 20, 2012 11:47 am

This will do nothing but move the traffic jam north. It will also kill the service and trades industries for the locals, due to the new influx of larger VA businesses that can out bid them. Plus it won’t be built by an American company….complete waste of money…keep Corolla special!

F. Coleman Starnes

January 20, 2012 11:36 am

The bridge cannot be built soon enough. For traffic and safety reasons, it is a godsend. Hopefully it will not so expensive for Outer Banks homeowners. It will save me at least 45 minutes in driving time coming and going. I just wish it was on a faster track. I guess that is too much to expect from the federal bureaucracy.

Sam Walker

January 20, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks Jimmy, coding error on my part.

Frank Moore

January 20, 2012 9:26 am

Leigh – sometimes actions bring changes in “my back yard” for the good of the majority. Just be glad and don’t regret or be sad about what you had, be happy that you had it at all !

live here YEAR round

January 20, 2012 8:55 am

The good thing about this is maybe it’ll eliminate some traffic jams on summer check in days.The bad thing is the way gas prices are going up nobody will be able to afford to drive in 2017!

Salvo Jimmy

January 20, 2012 8:31 am

The link to the study does not work, at least for me. Tried twice

Leigh Wolff

January 19, 2012 8:39 pm

It is with sadness and regret to announce my property in Corolla is now for sale..