Update: Aerial spraying in Dare to resume Sunday

By on September 28, 2011

Mosquitoes can breed in trash. (CDC)

Dare County was able to get some aerial spraying for mosquitoes Friday night before bad weather moved in.

If weather permits, the spraying will resume Sunday at 7 p.m. and continue into early Monday, the county said in a statement Saturday.

Areas scheduled for spraying on Sunday evening include the beach communities north of Oregon Inlet, Roanoke Island and Stumpy Point. Other areas were included Friday evening.

Hurricane Irene and plenty of rain since the storm have provided ample breeding grounds for mosquitoes that so far have outlasted chemical assaults by land and air.

Application will span 50,000 acres. Dibrom is the pesticide being applied at the rate of 0.75 fluid ounces per acre. The same pesticide was used for the first aerial spraying earlier this month.

Limited road access has also affected mosquito control in some areas of the county, the statement said.

Although chances of experiencing any health effects from spraying are very low, the Dare County Department of Public Health offers the following steps to reduce exposure to pesticides during spraying:

• Remain indoors when pesticides are sprayed in your immediate area.

• Bring pets and pet food and water containers inside to avoid direct exposure.

• Close windows and doors before spraying begins.

• Wash homegrown fruits and vegetables before eating.

• Wash exposed skin with soap and water if you come in contact with Dibrom®.

• Should you feel you are experiencing health effects from spraying, consult with your doctor.

For more information, contact Dare County Department of Public Health at (252) 475-5003 or Dare County Public Works at (252) 475-5880.

GO TO HOME PAGE »

Bookmark and Share

Comments

inKDH

October 2, 2011 7:54 pm

Aerial spraying is regulated by the state and federal governments. The county does not have the ability to contract spraying in any federal land (ie: pea island, wildlife refuge). They are also limited to aerial application every ten days.

And Ray, before you go criticizing Mr. Walker maybe you should actually meet him first. He is one of the nicest, mot competent individuals I know, and many other locals can vouch for that. He may also be able to clarify some things for you.

I read your piece about him on Eye on Dare. Walker is a licensed pesticide applicator registered with the state, and the county has scientific studies done prior to any aerial application. Another licensed AERIAL applicator performs the aerial sprayings.

I actually agree with you about several local issues. But with that said, it seems you do nothing to help, but rather criticize everyone around you about everything. Including the REAL journalists that write the actual news in a fair and balanced manner on this site. I read Eye on Dare for a good laugh. I read the Outer Banks Voice for news. I find this to be a pattern among other people around me as well. GO FIGURE

Gary Horton

October 2, 2011 12:36 pm

Go down to your local hardware store and get Spectracide insect killer. It comes in a black container and hooks up to a water hose. Spray your entire yard and around your house. It works like a charm and lasts for weeks. I used it and not a mosquito in my yard. They were so bad you couldn’t go outside. Costs about $14 but is well worth it.

Tom

October 2, 2011 7:21 am

Let about 500 mosquitoes into my truck yesterday at Stumpy Point while deer hunting.Fired up the Thermocell and sat there with my windows open,in about 5 minutes they couldn’t get out of the truck fast enough.www.thermocell.com, approx. $25 or less,well worth the money,even work in the swamps at dusk.Great for deck gatherings, clears out a 15′ circle with almost no smell.Beat the little buggers with this.

Terry

October 1, 2011 7:28 pm

If Colington got sprayed last night there was no change in the mosquito population this evening. They swarm your car when you pull into your driveway. I was hoping they did not spray Colington last night.

Ray M.

October 1, 2011 6:29 pm

The mosquitos in my neck of the woods have looked like multi-colored lightning bugs since the first county spraying, when they mixed all that crushed glass in with the Dibrom, by mistake.

local yokel

September 30, 2011 9:00 pm

This is the worst I’ve ever seen. As I’m writing this, I am scratchng no less than a dozen bites – and that was after taking a bath in Off with DEET. As much as I love the summer & hot weather, bring on the COLD!!! That’s the only thing that will knock them back. Everyone stay strong – us humans will prevail in the end!

Bill

September 30, 2011 10:57 am

At least we have NE wind coming in for the weekend and cool temps in the low 60s/upper 50s! The temps will not only allow us to wear more clothing outside, but will also help keep the buggers at bay! NE wind looks locked in place too throughout next week.

rosie hawthorne

September 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Madeline, the buggers are HUGE now. And full of blood.

When I went to get in my vehicle this morning, about a dozen mosquitoes joined me in that short time.

There’s no getting rid of them.

HATE this.

Madeline

September 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I think that the mosquitoes have gotten bigger since last time. The aerial sprays aren’t working. Are they going to cancel the First Flight High School Homecoming game? I would be mad.

Allan

September 29, 2011 2:25 pm

The football fields will be sprayed tonight (Thursday) so the games in Manteo & KDH can go forward on schedule.

John VanderMyde

September 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I’m finding Permethrin diluted and sprayed as a fine mist knocks them down long enough to play with my kid outside. Sorry to all the good bugs… but this is war.

CMOBX

September 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Does anyone know if the First Flight High School Homecoming game will still go on as scheduled for Friday evening….It starts right when the spraying is scheduled to begin?? I know they cancelled games in the past but we have not heard one thing about this time?

Wes Lassiter

September 29, 2011 11:06 am

I hate to say it but this is truly a case where nature needs to take it’s course. This crud they are spraying kills far more than mosquitoes. It will cool off soon enough. This is an exercise that will not achieve anything other than throw the balance way out of whack. I don’t like the little #$@%^&*’S any more than anyone else but imagine what this is doing to our natural aquatic system. But what do I know I’m just a dumb artist.

Jim

September 29, 2011 9:25 am

Richard I have to agree with you any relief is appreciated But it would seem to be more effective to spray & then again in a couple of days

roanokeislander

September 29, 2011 8:50 am

i wonder if they can do an aerial larvacide spray/drop?

richard

September 29, 2011 6:33 am

But what is the point of a single spraying? The mosquitoes that are killed have already laid their eggs. Dare gets a couple of days respite, but then the eggs hatch and they are back.
If you are going to do it, they need to do it multiple times over a week or so.

ekim

September 28, 2011 9:32 pm

I work outside for a livin we sweat the bugspray off in minutes, we cover our selfs so much It cant be no worse If the plane uses REAL BUG KILLER! Over the HOLE region! Lets get real we live in a swamp. Lets remind those who stood outside with their mouths open during the last dusting STAY INSIDE!

rosie hawthorne

September 28, 2011 9:24 pm

III, when (not if) they catch up with you, you’ll be nothing but a lifeless puddle of skin. Stay inside.

lll

September 28, 2011 8:52 pm

But I will miss all of the extra exercise I get running from the little blood suckers!!!!!

rosie hawthorne

September 28, 2011 8:44 pm

The mosquitoes are the worst I’ve ever experienced in my 27 years here.
I am unable to go outside now, even with OFF.

I believe the spraying is creating a master race of mosquitoes.

It’s horrific in Colington.

J.C. Towler

September 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for the warning and precautions.
Based on purely anecdotal experience, I’d say the mosquitoes have adapted to the chemicals. The County might need to step up to something stronger. Like napalm.