Coast Guard aerial video of Hatteras Island damage

By on August 28, 2011

Video by Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Walter Shinn.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Sharon M

September 9, 2011 12:50 pm

Don, Many people in all 50 states have federal flood insurance. You don’t have to live on the coast to have a flood. In fact, you don’t have to live near a river either. I lived in the mountains of Southwest Virginia for 10 years, I can tell you that it floods there from time to time. I also lived for 5 years north of Nashville, TN. Guess what? We had a huge flood that affected 1000s of residents in 2010. If you don’t have flood insurance, you’re not covered. You say you live in the mountains of PA & will probably never file a claim. Be careful what you say because karma has a way of coming back to bite you.

Christine Karns

September 7, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks Don! 9/7/11 It is flooding the Northern PA Mountains!!! Evacuations in Sonestown and Dushore in Sullivan County by boat!!! The last two weeks up here, we should have stayed on vacation in the Outer Banks!!!

Victoria

September 2, 2011 5:58 pm

Don and Cliff,

Many generations have lived on those islands and raised families. Look at all the other coastal states in U.S. Thank goodness you live in the mountains of Pa. please stay and never leave.

rob

September 1, 2011 9:59 pm

don,i guess we don’t have to worry about you coming down for vacation.thank god,we don’t need anymore idiots down here!

Rochelle Jenkins

September 1, 2011 8:25 pm

Many thoughts and prayers to the residents on Hatteras Island. I hope everyone is well and the recovery process will be quick. And for those that think disaster can only occur on a sandbar(island) your sadly mistaken.

lis

September 1, 2011 7:11 am

my prayers are with everyone in NC …

karen gray

August 30, 2011 10:55 pm

ARE THERE ANY PICTURES OR VIDEOS OF OCRACOKE? TO ALL OF THE PERMANET RESIDENTS, OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. I HOPE THIS BEAUTIFUL,FRAGILE, AND PEACEFUL PRECIOUS PLACE CAN BE AS WONDERFUL IN THE FUTURE. GOD BLESS! WE WILL BE DOWN ASAP. WHEN THEY ALLOW THE NON-RSIDENTS THERE.

Cliff

August 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Don is correct, no insurance company will provide insurance, but the state of NC will, along with the USA through its National Flood Insurance Program, NFIP. So call your representatives and senators and tell them not to fund NFIP, as consideration begins on 9/8 in Washington

DON SHOEMAKER

August 29, 2011 10:24 pm

You build houses in the middle of the ocean on a sand bar what do you really expect??Lets go build a million dollar condo on the island and take out alarge insurance policy ,bingo instant money.I personally dont think any ins company should cover them .Its a for sure loss.I live here in the mountains of Pa and theres a slim chance to none that i would ever collect on ins on my home..

Chris R

August 29, 2011 11:52 am

They filled a 2000 foot breach in 2003 but were warned it would open up again. this is a differant spot but than then but mother nature opened it up again. Build the long bridge to hatteras and just use the bonner bridge to get to pea island

Kathy Clark

August 29, 2011 11:48 am

Any word on Frisco and Hatteras Village? Did the sound flood residences along highway 12 around Billy Mitchell Road and the pier? Any pictures or video?!

Amanda

August 29, 2011 10:18 am

I can’t believe the house that burned to the ground is the house right next to where we stayed in June. I have pictures of that house. My husband I thought it was beautiful. We were coming back down for a 2nd vacation and we were suppose to leave on Saturday. know I guess we can’t. This would have been our 3rd time down to the OBX. We love it down there. I hope all is well and everyone can recover!God Bless everyone!

Jerry Lester

August 28, 2011 10:09 pm

A 900-foot wide breach. Can that be filled, I wonder?