805-pound bluefin breaks 16-year-old state record

By on March 17, 2011

Corey Schultz, left, of Waverly, Va. and his fishing buddy Patrick Hughes of Minneapolis, Minn. with Schultz’s North Carolina state record catch. (Courtesy, NCDMF)

A bluefin tuna caught from a boat out of the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center last weekend tipped the scales at 805 pounds, easily breaking the N.C. Saltwater Fishing Tournament record.

The state Division of Marine Fisheries confirmed the record set by Corey Schultz, of Waverly, Va. The fish he caught March 12 eclipsed the previous state high of 744 pounds set off of Oregon Inlet in 1995.

Schultz said he fought the fish for about 2½ hours and had close to 1,000 yards of line out. Everyone in the boat’s party of six, in addition to the captain and mate, helped to get the fish on board, according to a marine fisheries statement.

He caught the bluefin on a Shimano 80 rod and reel with 130 pound test and ballyhoo for bait. The fish measured 112 inches curved fork length with a 76-inch girth.

“It was all that rod and reel wanted, I can tell you that,” Schultz said.

Schultz was aboard the Sea Breeze. Last year, he caught a 350-pound tuna with the same captain, Ned Ashby, and released the catch.

“I knew within the first few minutes it was not the same caliber fish,” Schultz said.

The International Game Fish Association record bluefin tuna weighed 1,496 pounds and was caught off Nova Scotia in 1979.

GO TO HOME PAGE »

Bookmark and Share

Comments

Darlene

March 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Congrats! I wish I was there for the celebration!

Mr Bob

March 31, 2011 9:54 am

Go ahead Corey! I just did a shot of saki for you. That tuna is bigger than some of the Kubotas you got from us… Fish on!

Lee

March 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Congrats,

Men have been fishing and eating them since the beginning of time. Congratulations of the fish of a lifetime. Screw the haters.

Lee

Pete

March 22, 2011 4:46 am

Commercial fishing has indeed decimated both the average size and population numbers of these fish. They are delicious… bluefin is one of my favorites. The only problem with eating an 800 pounder is that it is at the top of the food chain, and had been bioaccumulation fat soluble toxins (especially Methyl Mercury) its entire life from every animal that was eaten by every animal that was eaten by every animal that a giant tuna ever ate. Might as well break a thermometer into the marinade. …And if you are like myself, and have eaten lots of fish your whole life, you are probably pretty well stocked on these toxins already, and you probably shouldn’t be eating too much giant tuna, mako, swordfish, etc… if you value your health at all.

Dean P

March 22, 2011 1:33 am

They wouldn’t whine about hunting and fishing if the insurance co stopped paying for the deer verses car accidents. More deer are killed by cars than by hunters. And another thing if vegan’s are so upset about meat eaters, why are there so many imitation meat products out there.

Jason senteney

March 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Nice fish congats wish I could do more fishing and hunting then I do.
And just to u people out there that think its crul to hunt and fish stop eating all foods for me I want u not to kill a singal thing and stop useing all thing natual I want to see how long u all will survia ok

Charles P. Hopson

March 21, 2011 6:20 pm

What a nice fish and should bring a hefty sum if it went to the Japanese auction. Bette has to calm down because recreational fisherman aren’t the problem for the over fishing of Giant Blue fin tuna.

my cat

March 21, 2011 5:09 pm

that is huge dude

Mark

March 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Sounds like another fish story to me……..just sayin’ lol

John Turner

March 21, 2011 2:57 pm

to the person that thinks fish have rights–DONT KILL ROACHES!

Cap't Dave

March 21, 2011 1:55 pm

I am all for fishing, sport fishing, etc… especially trying to catch a monster like this one. But to think all Tuna could get this big for all to try and catch if only there was more regulations for the commercial tuna fisher’s. The Tuna are so over-fished that the majority don’t get a quarter of the weight of this one.

1st mate to the Tracker

March 21, 2011 1:29 pm

bette ramos its fishing.your not gonna stop it, please give up. its our way of life. <3

Peeski

March 21, 2011 1:28 pm

That’s a lot of sushi! This is great news. It will be eaten! What a shame, someone had some fun while harvesting a wonderful protien rich fish. Get a clue people. Congrats to Corey.

Rusty

March 21, 2011 1:24 pm

I agree, It seems every picture or video you watch on the internet has negative comments about hunting and fishing from animal rights activists. poor fish? I feel sorry for your poor family for having to put up with you.

nosty fish

March 21, 2011 1:04 pm

oh my,another animal rights activist on our hands,should use them for bait

dean

March 21, 2011 1:02 pm

please bette fish are there for us to eat I hope this guy was able to sell it for top dollar

Bette Ramos

March 20, 2011 6:05 pm

What a shame to have to kill a gran’daddy fish to break a record! What a shame to kill a living thing when sustenance is not the goal nor self preservation. The senseless taking of an innocent life for ego gratification seems such a waste. Poor fish.

ekim

March 19, 2011 9:20 am

This is old school news BEV, In the old days this was what OBX news was ABOUT!

David

March 19, 2011 5:18 am

Wow is right, two fellas in the back to put the size of the fish into perspective… well done!

Jerry Joppek

March 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Look-out Charlie! You may be next.

Beverly Wood

March 18, 2011 12:20 pm

I just want to keep up with the news

Shellie Anne

March 18, 2011 8:56 am

WELL DONE COREY SCHULTZ and CAPT AND CREW of SEA BREEZE!

ekim